There is no definite age to learn as learning is a never-ending process. Being a parent, it’s our duty to impart right set of knowledge and skills at right time in right amount to our kids. The brain of a child grows very rapidly during the first several years of life and with each passing day, he learns all sort of new skills and explore the world around them. Acquiring varied skills is just one part of children’s development but mastering each of them actually counts.
Every child develop skills mainly in five areas of development-
Fine Motor Skill Development
- It mainly relate to movements involving smaller muscle groups such as those in the wrist and fingers. Activities like to pick up small objects, to write, to hold a spoon, to button etc. Always encourage your child to play with different toys as playing is the major source of motor skills. Finger painting, jigsaw puzzles, block-building games, colouring are some of the fun tasks you can do with your child. Development of fine motor skills helps your child become more independent so always look for opportunities when they can practice small movements.
Gross Motor Skill Development
- It includes the child’s ability to walk, to sit, to pull a drawer, to jump where mainly large muscles such as legs and arms are involved. Use of ladder to climb while maintaining their body control can turn out to be a fun activity to teach your child the art of coordination. With every passing year, make them habitual to swings and various other physical activities which will help them strengthen their core muscles and improve their balance as the swing goes in different directions. Having well developed motor skills act as confidence booster especially at the age 5-8 when children start playing organized sports.
Social And Emotional Development
- When a child is able to interact and express his/her emotions by smiling or crying. One of the major factors that influence a child’s development is the environment you keep them in. Make sure that your kid is miles away from any sort of negativity or harm, be it at home or school. A child always need a caring environment where they feel loved and special so no matter what a child’s age, keep loving them unconditionally. The more you love your children, the more they learn to love others.
Speech And Language Development
- When a child is able to both understand and use language. Reading (it is how we discover new things) helps children bloom their language. So, teaching young children to read helps them develop their language skills and provides them with a new perspective about the world they live in. Reading also introduces them to a range of vocabulary, helping them to communicate with ease and clarity. As a child develops, it is important we nurture their communication skills so they are capable of expressing themselves.
- It includes the child’s ability to learn and solve problems. With knowledge about different things, a child’s thinking becomes more developed and refined. Always encourage them to experiment and learn from their own mistakes. It is not what you do for children, but what you have taught them to do for themselves.
We all want our children to be the best of all but don’t forget that each child is unique and may not learn a skill as fast as you expected him to but being a parent you should never stop trying. Each child will develop at his or her own pace. Your bond with your children is one of the most important influences on your child’s learning and development.
“A child who read will be an adult who thinks.”