Gone are the days when art education in schools was given least importance to create more time for theory based standardized classes. With world becoming more of a tech space where theoretical knowledge has taken a back seat and artistic skills rules the education system, it’s highly important to integrate art education in every school’s core classroom curricula. One can’t deny the fact that children learn a lot more from graphic sources than written words. Arts include all those activities (Drama, music, fine arts, etc.) that instills creativity and boost critical thinking of a child. Art also help kids develop on many fundamental levels.
Let’s look at some key points to understand the importance of art education for a child’s development-
- Art is introducing children to a new way of seeing. Concepts/theories become interesting and easy to understand when they are taught through the arts as it allows kids to express themselves better than any other knowledge session. Music, dance, painting and drama make literature/history come alive and more likely to be recognized by children for a long period. Art education also creates a fun and positive culture in schools.
- Art education teach them to make choices and decisions based on their visual learning. When kids get a chance to step outside their comfort zone and start doing things by their own, it surely builds their confidence. The arts provide a platform for children to demonstrate their skills and abilities.
- Arts groom a child’s motor skills as it makes kids indulge in various activities like painting, playing an instrument, scribbling with a crayon, learning to dance or act etc.
- Exposing children to art is a great way to help them understand varied cultures of our diverse society. It also encourages them to embrace the changes/differences they see around them.
- Art education sharpens your kid’s focus and creates a more mindful approach to life from a young age. Arts gives one the power to connect the seemingly unconnected and brings a more coherent meaning to the world. By focusing on art-based learning, children learn to visualize through careful observation and look at the different perspectives.
- Art education increases student engagement and provide them a medium to connect knowledge to personal experiences. It also fosters creativity as children learn to create their own artwork in the form of paintings, songs, plays, etc.
“You can’t use up creativity. The more you use, the more you have. MAYA ANGELOU
- Art education promotes a sense of identity and team-spirit as children learn to work in a team and realize the importance of their contribution. It also helps in creating a positive learning environment in schools.
- Art education provides endless opportunities to learn new words hence helps in language development of a child.
Art makes kids smarter, stronger, and faster!